Fellow APTA DE members,
I am humbled to introduce myself to you as your new President. I can remember as a new DPTA member (back in the 1980’s!), thinking to myself, ‘everyone knows everyone else here, so I am not going to open my mouth!’
Unfortunately, it kept me from getting the most I could in my career with regard to one of the biggest benefits of belonging—a network of bright people who were willing to share their time and talents to make me smarter.
I mention this in the outside chance that you may feel this way. Perhaps you don’t, but feel that you are too busy to get involved. Or perhaps you don’t think APTA DE does anything for you. Or perhaps you don’t think you have much to offer.
You see, all those excuses are just that—excuses. In addition, those excuses are NOT true.
I (and your fellow Delaware PTs and PTAs) need your help and involvement.
2021 will be just like every other year in the last 6500 years of recorded humanity—opportunity mixed with danger. Always has been, and always will be.
My challenge to you is to step up and step out to give YOUR time and talents to this great profession.
There are definitely storm clouds forming in 2021 for our association.
Here are some of the bigger ones:
- COVID-19. When are PTs and PTAs getting vaccinated, and how will it change how you practice
- Revenue to the association due to changing economy, and how we thrive into the future
- Orthopedic surgeons want to change Delaware law prohibiting physicians from owning PT businesses.
There are many reasons to believe that 2021 will provide you and all of us with opportunities to grow as well. Here are some ways we think APTA DE will help you:
- Emphasize digital learning for continuing ed (anyone NOT know how to Zoom?!)
- Re-vamped website and FB page in order to get you up to the minute information
- New, young, vibrant grads who are passionate about PT
I will NOT be shy in asking for your help! I have already met in person and via Zoom many of our members who have not been active (yet), and I am VERY encouraged by the willingness of everyone to get involved.
This is YOUR profession, and it is something to be proud of!
I will be contacting you shortly to personally invite you to contribute. Yes, you have something to contribute, and the time is NOW.
Stephen Rapposelli, PT, OCS