Happy Spring to you!
As I write this, I am looking at my daffodils blooming, and the sun is out! It will be 62 degrees today, but since it is Delaware, it may snow in 2 days!
APTA DE has been busy since I last wrote to you, so here are some updates:
- On Tuesday, March 28th, APTA DE awarded our “Friend of the Association” award to Insurance Commissioner Trinidad Navarro. APTA DE Payment & Advocacy chair, George Edelman, PT, OCS made the presentation and speech, and the restaurant was on their feet. Mr. Navarro was instrumental in helping Delaware PTs get the first increase in reimbursement from High Mark/Blue Cross in 10 years!! This is a HUGE win for Delaware PTs in being paid for the value we provide. Thank you, Mr. Navarro! In speaking with the commissioner, he was emphatic that the biggest factor in this result was our association reaching out to his office for help. “Ask and you shall receive” seems to apply in many areas, and is a good reminder for us all.
- We need your opinion! Here is a link to a survey to get your feedback on continuing ed this year in Delaware. Your leadership team does not know what you want, so PLEASE tell us! (remember “ask and you shall receive”?) . Click on it. Fill it in. Send. It’s that easy, really and will take less than 1 minute! For example, are you ready for in-person continuing ed? Do you still want virtual? Do you want a full day course? Do you want something on a Friday in Sussex County so you can then go to the beach? Please tell us by clinking on this link : APTA DE course series 2023
- Congrats are in order to Lynne Sturgill, PT, DPT, MHS, OCS, our 2023 Joe Lucca Award winner! This award is given to an APTA DE member who exemplifies years of service to our association. Lynne has worked tirelessly and selflessly for years in multiple roles in the association. She deserves this award, and we are so proud of her.
- In other award-winning news for APTA DE members, I want to congratulate an APTA Delaware member for receiving an APTA Oncology award at the CSM 2023 APTA Oncology Celebration of Life Reception. Mary Lou Galantino, PT, PhD, FAPTA, received the Research Award for her contribution to the science of physical therapy in oncology. Please join us in congratulating Mary Lou for her accomplishment. You continue to make us all proud to be a Delaware PT, Mary Lou!!
- In more sobering news, a lawsuit was brought against the Delaware PT Licensing Board in Chancery Court by Dr. Randeep Kahlon and Cathy Calloway of Rise PT. They are seeking relief in allowing physicians in Delaware to profit from owning PT services. Your association, while not directly associated with this legal matter, is protecting your interests by filing a brief with the court. We will be keeping you updated as we have more information. Since legislative efforts have failed for 2 years, this issue is now being taken to the judicial system.
Now would be a good time to make a contribution to our coffers as we protect your interests. Checks of any amount are being accepted, payable to:
APTA DE, 30269 Cave Neck Rd, Milton, DE 19968
You can also Venmo a donation to our account @APTADelaware or use the following QR code:
Steve Rapposelli, PT, OCS